Friday, January 13, 2006

Fall song monicker website ah !

A quick 5 minute lunchtime trawl on the web unearthed one of what I assume is hundreds of thousands of mp3 blogs. I am indebted to mp3 blogs - saves me hosting stuff. I just link. Related to music from the web, Spoilt Victorian Child posts this article from the BBC about the effect of music downloads, or more accurately the accessibility and choice that downloads offer. As well as commenting on how discovering new music has lost it's "aura", and on the commodification of music, it goes on to say - " The accessibility of music has meant that it is taken for granted and does not require a deep emotional commitment once associated with music appreciation," said Dr Adrian North, who led the study"
Not sure if I agree entirely. I can still be blown away by hearing new stuff - two gigs this year spring to mind. Any loss of aura I put down to jadedness and having to trawl through an ever increasing amount of the sub standard and mediocre to reach the good stuff.
On the same site I found Stand Down Margaret by The Beat. A song that reminds me of a time when even 7 inch B sides done it for me big style. A clever re working of Prince Buster's Whine and Grine aimed at the then recently installed PM Margaret Thatcher. Great to stumble across it on a Friday lunchtime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home